With the support of TC Energy this year, AWSN will be offering ten $3000 scholarships.
The AWSN Scholarship Program is part of larger equity efforts within the AWSN network. Through the guidance of a gender-based analysis plus (GBA+), the program uses an intersectional lens and is structured in a way that allows AWSN to distribute the awards in an equitable manner, limiting unconscious bias, stereotypes, and other barriers commonly faced by underrepresented groups.
Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- STEM students: applicant is going into the 3rd to final year of an undergraduate program in STEM in Alberta.
- STEM re-engagers: applicant has a career gap (2+ years) and is re-engaging into a STEM program in Alberta to learn or upgrade skills.
Applicants do not need to currently reside in Alberta, but their enrolled STEM program must be in Alberta.
The online application is now open. The application includes the following sections:
- Personal Information
- Identifying Factors
- Background Context
Three (3) Essays
- Discuss your involvement within your communities, from educational projects within your school to volunteering within clubs/organizations and to how you support your greater community. (approx. 200-500 words)
- Please describe your education and career goals, including why you registered for your chosen program. Discuss how your lived experience informed your work. (approx. 100-250 words)
- Please share with us how this scholarship will assist you in the pursuit of your education and career goals. (approx. 100-250 words)
- Please upload a copy of the most recent transcript (.jpg, .pdf, .png). Note: for re-engagers, a copy of proof of enrolment in the STEM program (.jpg., pdf, .png) is also acceptable.
- All applicants must upload a reference letter to speak to the applicant’s leadership demonstration (.doc, .docx, .pdf)
- Consent and Agreement
If the applicant wishes to mail in an application, please download the “Printable Application Form.” Fill in the application and attach supporting documents as required. Submit the package to:
(Attention: Scholarship Committee)
3553 - 31 Street NW, Box 53
Calgary, Alberta T2L 2K7
- June 30th: Application closes
- Late August or early September: Scholarship recipients will be notified
- October (during WinSTEM week): Announcement of scholarship recipients
Program Guide and Questions
Past Award Recipients
2020: Brielle Lillywhite
2019: Jasmine McDermott