WISER/UA-WiSE present: Mentorship Program 2017-2018
UA-WiSE (University of Alberta Women in Science and Engineering) and WISER (Women in Science Engineering and Research) are launching the third year of their mentorship program. The program is geared towards STEM fields and aims to connect undergraduate students, early career professionals, graduate students, and professionals who are well established in their careers. The program is open to both men and women.
Each group consists of a mentor who is well established in their field, a graduate student or early career professional mentee, and an undergraduate student mentee. Trio matching will be done by the Mentorship Organizing Committee based on the participants’ future goals and areas of expertise.
The program will run from October 2017 until March 2018 and will include three formal events:
- October 5, 2017: Launch Event to introduce the trios and provide training for the program.
- January 25, 2018: Professional Panel Discussion where participants will have the opportunity to ask questions and dialogue with experienced professionals in academia, industry and government.
- March 27, 2018: Professional development workshop (topic will be chosen according to participant feedback).
Interested participants are asked to kindly complete the application by September 19, 2017.
Program Benefits for Mentors:
- Networking with other mentors at the three program events
- Connecting with the new generation of professionals from the University of Alberta
- Extending your network with early career professionals
- Improving your communication and leadership skills
- Giving back to the STEM community
- Mentorship hours count towards Professional Developments Credit (PDC) for APEGA & ACPA members (Up to 20 PDC)
- Available childcare for the three events to aid in work-life balance
For more information, visit https://wiseredmonton.ca/mentorship-mainpage/