SALMTEC’s 2020 ABWRET-A (Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool – Actual) Training Course
This course provides participants with a strong understanding of the Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool-Actual. Both online learning and hands-on field training from the creator of the wetland evaluation tool, Dr. Paul Adamus, are combined in this easily accessible course, to prepare you for the 2020 field season.
- This course consists of 8 online modules, 1-2 hours in duration, and a one-day field training component.
- Online modules will be released two at a time starting April 15, through SALMTEC's online learning platform.
- The one-day field training component led by Dr. Adamus, will be hosted in Red Deer on Saturday, July 11, 2020.
- Alternate locations may be available if booked for a group of 10 or more by February 15, 2020.
- Online modules, including associated tests, must be completed prior to the field training day.
Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool is a standardized method for assessing the important natural functions of all types of wetlands present in Alberta. The use of this method is a requirement through the Government of Alberta's Wetland Policy where Water Act approval is sought and wetlands will be permanently impacted.
A strong understanding of this tool is required at three sign-off points in the Water Act approval process for wetlands: at the pre-disturbance stage in the Wetland Assessment and Impact Report (WAIR) or Wetland Assessment and Impact Form (WAIF), at the wetland restoration design stage in the Wetland Restoration Plan, and at the final verification stage in the Verification Report.
Course Learning Objectives
- Learners will understand the context for using ABWRET-A (green and white areas)
- Learners will understand the methods used to create ABWRET-A
- Learners will understand the basic theory behind the wetland functions
- Learners will receive an in-depth understanding of ABWRET-A indicators and wetland functional models
- Learners will gain hands-on experience using the ABWRET-A Tool
- Learners will understand the process of submitting ABWRET-A
- Learners will understand how to interpret the ABWRET-A results
- March 1: Early Bird Deadline for SALMTEC’s ABWRET-A (Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool – Actual) Training Course.
- April 15-July 11: SALMTEC’s ABWRET-A (Alberta Wetland Rapid Evaluation Tool – Actual) Online and Field Training Course.
- July 11: SALMTEC Field Day: ABWRET-A Training Course field day in Red Deer, AB.